79 responses

1. ebarlason
    September 25, 2013

Thak u for sharing!! i followed all the instructios as u explained.now when i run my webpage appears “Error establishing a database connection” and when i open my wp-admin ” http://haktaxi.com/wp-admin/ ” appears: This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can’t contact the database server at hak1324708204385.db.10442962.hostedresource.com. This could mean your host’s database server is down. so i need your help pleasee!!

• admin
      September 26, 2013

ebarlson: If you’re getting that error, it’s either completely unrelated, or you changed something in your database improperly. Go back and check the entries you changed and make sure everything is entered correctly. Make sure there is no white space, typos, etc.

2. Rachelle
    October 6, 2013

Great breakdown! I just got a bit stuck. I did change my website in the siteurl step like you said. But it won’t let me go to the next page. It says “Error: Token Mismatch.” So I’m stuck, would you help me? Thanks so much!

• admin
      October 6, 2013

Rachelle, is this happening in your phpmyadmin? … If so, it sounds like either a problem host-side, or else a user-error in the edit. Make sure you didn’t change anything you shouldn’t have and try again. If problems persist in phpmyadmin, contact your host to have them make sure phpmyadmin is working properly.

3. Aaron
    November 17, 2013

Very concise and well-written. This is awesome! You just fixed my blog. I am so happy. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

4. Jer
    December 18, 2013

Absolutely grateful.
    Thank you for writing this post.

5. Udara Seneviratne
    January 1, 2014

Thank You very much. It was very useful for me. Thanks Again.

6. Dallas Clark
    January 6, 2014

Changing the GUID is not recommended, most people incorrectly think this is used as the URL to the post, page, or attachment.

GUID is a Globally unique identifier, a unique value for the current row in the database. Changing the GUID can cause issues depending on the original theme developer, but RSS readers in particular use GUIDs to track which items have been read, flagged, labelled, unread and more.

Changing the GUIDs across your database will cause RSS readers to show all posts as new. Very frustrating for anyone who has already read your posts and have spent the extra time tagging, labelling and flagging.

7. Dallas Clark
    January 6, 2014

^ It’s common that attachments displayed on a website use a GUID for linking. All depends on the theme author of course.

8. Matthew
    February 15, 2014

Thank you !!!

9. Graphic design Tampa joe hirst
    February 25, 2014

Holy cow!

I was stressing out like crazy over a client project once I’d moved their new site to a new domain. This post was a HUGE help in simplifying what needed to be found and changed.

I’m still fairly new to wordpress development and this has proven to be such a valuble little guide on fixing database items.

Really saved me a lot of time. Thank you!

10. Natasha
    March 31, 2014

Hi!

I currently want to change my blog URL to a completely different one, but as I’m no web developer this stuff is all foreign to me! If I backup my current blog, have my hosting provider change my primary domain to this new one, have them restore my backup and go in and change all my links on PHP My Admin to reflect the new URL, will my site be back to normal? No one at my host provider can give me information on how to keep my site intact. I just want my url to change without losing everything… not a complicated mess. Is this the solution?

• admin
      March 31, 2014

If you are using multisite with WordPress, do not attempt this.

Otherwise, I suggest you add the new domain to your account and make sure it is assigned to the same directory as the domain that your site is currently setup to function with. Then make a backup of your account.

After doing that, log into your WordPress site and go to Settings > General and change the WordPress and Site Addresses to use the new domain/URL that you assigned as mentioned above. After you update it will automatically kick you out. Log back in using the new address.

That should make most things work for you. Some images and such may need to be updated. If there are issues, you can always hurriedly switch back to your first domain, or restore a backup if absolutely necessary.

11. Yen
    April 1, 2014

I just want to say thanks to this article. It truly fixed my site. Useful and easy to comprehend step-by-step guide.
    You’re an expert! Thanks a lot!

12. Souvik
    April 24, 2014

When i am trying to open http://www.myblog.com/wp-admin it opening http://www.myblog.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fmyblog.acmereports.com%2Fwp-admin%2F&reauth=1
    Which in the other wp pointed on other server i cannot access admin panel. please help me.

• admin
      April 26, 2014

Sounds like just the thing this article is likely to address. Have you tried making sure your settings are correct in the database as mentioned? What further issues, if any, are you seeing?

13. Jas
    May 6, 2014

Thank you so much for the post.

I had moved from Godaddy shared hosting to WordPress managed hosting.

your posts helped me fix the URL’s.

Thanks

14. Atif
    May 26, 2014

All the stuff here is really informative and supportive for me.

Thanks a lot.

15. Larry Fleckinger
    June 14, 2014

Just a note to say THANK YOU! I had just spent about 3-4 hours on a site and the devil made me go into the settings and change the site URL thinking it would change the URL on my logo…boy was I wrong!! This was a fast easy fix. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!!

16. Steve Massey
    September 27, 2014

Thank you so much.

17. Susan Lopez
    February 9, 2015

Tried to transfer URL from old site to new site and messed up address by only changing the URL and not the home as well. This was very helpful in solving the problem.

Big Thanks!

18. Aneel
    March 3, 2015

Hi,

I exactly followed the mentioned steps carefully,
    after doing all this
    this is the error i am getting

——————————-
    The server at telanganabusinessnews.com can’t be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website’s name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.

Error code: ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
    ————————————–

can you plz help me out

Thanks

• admin
      March 5, 2015

Sounds to me like a DNS issue. If you haven’t already got your DNS setup properly, you’ll want to contact your host to help you with that. If you have already, then it can take up to 48 hours for DNS to ‘propagate’.
      (That’s the word commonly used, but I’m not sure it fits what actually happens very well…)

19. Σπυρος Σ
    April 18, 2015

thanks,thanks,thanks and THANKS

20. handicrafts
    May 3, 2015

This method works in all cases, it just lacks the specifics on how to change your hosting account’s primary domain and how to get to phpMyAdmin since that varies depending on your hosting provider.

21. arunreasey
    July 6, 2015

Hi! I got problem with my table in database word.
    error message #1146 – Table ‘admin_tpo2.wp_posts’ doesn’t exis
    Can you help to fix it?
    Thanks

• admin
      July 6, 2015

That error in and of itself doesn’t really help me know what the problem might be. I tried looking around your site a little, but didn’t see any errors. Sounds to me like an error in a configuration/setting. Or maybe your table really is missing or your database is corrupt. Having the wrong name or prefix could mess it up.

22. Connie Zimmermann
    July 29, 2015

Thank you sooooo much!! After almost having a panic attack, I found your instructions, and now my URL is working properly once again. You are a blessing to the users of WordPress.

23. admin
    September 11, 2013

Rose,
    I would recommend that you move the files from the folder to the public_html. This is really a matter of preference for many though. You don’t have to do it that way, but you may find it better in the long-run. If you don’t want to move them this will show you how to fix it without moving your files: http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory

24. Load More Comments…